Saturday

Carmelitas

This recipe was passed to me from my mother in law. After she made it for me one time I had to have the recipe. They are so delicious. I am always so excited for fall to come so I can make these each year. Now that I am couponing it was extra hard to wait for the caramels to go on sale.lol But they are sooooo worth the wait!

Carmelitas
(Preheat 350 degrees)
¾ C packed brown sugar
1 C flour
¾ C melted butter or margarine
1 C oatmeal
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
1 C pecans, chopped
1 C chocolate chips
50 caramels
½ C evaporated milk


In a double boiler melt caramels in evaporated milk stirring frequently until smooth and completely combined. You can also do this step in a microwave safe bowl on high for 2 minutes, then in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until the mixture is smooth. Cool Slightly. Combine remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and pecans in a large mixing bowl. Press half of the mixture in a 9x13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over crust. Pour caramel mixture over top and spread to cover evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture and bake 15-20 minutes. While these are delicious warm they cut into squares a lot better if you let them cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment