Sunday

Summer Pasta Salad

Here is another recipe from my menu this week. This is one that was given to me by my sister in law, Rachel and soon after became one of my favorites. Although she doesn't usually have formal recipes. She is one of "those" cooks. You know the ones that make ridiculously delicious food and when you ask them for the recipe all they can tell you is what was in it. As far as the amounts they just add until it tastes good.lol. Well I bugged her a lot for this one because it really is super delicious. Luckily she obliged me and sent me this one through email. She is so great that way. ;) The great part about this one is that it can be changed to fit whatever veggies you have on hand. Ok, I will quite talking and just get to the recipe. Here it is, but I warn you. Once you taste it you may develop a strong addiction to it that will tempt you to make it once a week. If you are lucky your family will welcome your addiction. I was not so lucky, but I make it anyway. Soooo YUMMY!

Summer Pasta Salad

1 lb cooked penne pasta – make sure to salt the water when cooking to flavor the pasta
1 lb low fat sausage
1 small onion diced
1 clove garlic diced (optional)
½ package of Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing
About ¼ cup olive oil
1 cup corn kernels – frozen or fresh
Assorted chopped fresh/raw veggies (peppers, asparagus, green beans, peas, avocado, tomatoes, are my favs but you can use whatever you have on hand)

Brown sausage, add onion, garlic, peppers and corn and cook until lightly caramelized. Add any vegetables you want to sauté. ( I add the asparagus at this point) Drain pasta and add to large bowl. Add enough olive oil to lightly moisten pasta. Add ranch dressing mix and whatever other seasonings you want to add ( I like dried chipolte chili pepper, rosemary and garlic salt. Add meat and vegetables and adjust seasoning to your taste. I like to add frozen peas which will thaw just by the heat from the meat and veggies. I also stir in my diced or cherry tomatoes and diced avocado at this point. This salad is great served as a warm pasta for a main dish or cold as a side dish. it also reheats wonderfully the next day.

As always I would love for you guys to have some of your recipes with me. I love trying new things. If you have one you want to share email me at jennifer.blackford@comcast.net.

2 comments: