Wednesday

10.21.09




The kids and I decided to go to Wal-mart today to pick up a few last minute items for Halloween Costumes and while I was there I realized there were a few items I had forgotten to pick up at other stores. The more I shop the more I realize that my old way of thinking was SO SO WRONG! I used to think that Wal-mart's prices were better than anyone elses. Other than the fact that they have raised their prices on just about everything, they really are not that pleasant to shop with. I decided to price match a few more bags of candy as I had another coupon I found later that day that would make for decent prices. They were fine with the price matching but then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't price match and use a coupon. This, I explained to the manager, doesn't make sense as they are getting reimbursed for the full value of the coupon whether I price match or not. They are not losing any money for me using the coupon! After waiting (with 3 impatient people in line behind me) for about 5 minutes for another manager to give her the ok, she decided to go ahead and do it. Next time I will definitely just do my price matching (especially where coupons are involved) at Target if I can help it. So frustrating! Here is the breakdown of what I got.

Total before Coupons and Sales $11.57
Total out of Pocket $9.83
Total % Saved 15%

HERE IS THE WHAT I GOT


4 bags of Reeses Candy
Price Matched Toys R Us Ad @ $1.74 (reg. $2.50) -B3GOF
FINAL PRICE
$1.30
I know this does not seem like a great deal… I realized the other coupons I planned to use on the deal were expired already. BOO!


2 cans Kidney Beans
$0.75 each
2 cans Pinto Beans
$0.72 each

1 pkg. great value cream cheese
$1.67
OUCH! After purchasing the Philadelphia brand a month or so ago for $0.79 each this one hurt.



What is funny is after looking at the poor savings in this transaction I realized it is almost exactly what I was doing before I started my system. I was using coupons to save a little but mostly paying high price for everything. It is the perfect example of what having a stockpile can do for you. Had I had these things in stock (the beans and the cream cheese) I would not have had to pay through the nose for it. I guess it shows progress if this small transaction was as painful to me as it was. I know it is only a few cents but I have really learned how a few cents here and there really do add up to hundreds of dollars. I vow to do better! I sure hope they have a bean sale soon. Chili season is here!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment